If you have decided it’s time to paint your home’s exterior, you are probably comparing the options. Exterior painting is a big investment. You might be thinking about making it a DIY project to save money. Before you do, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of tackling this yourself versus hiring a painting contractor.
Our family-owned company has twenty years experience in exterior home painting in Southern California. Check out some of our recent work.
This post will discuss some things to consider before making a decision on how to get your exterior painted, and the pros and cons of painting the exterior of your house yourself or hiring a professional.
Things to Consider Before Making a Decision:
- Budget: Before beginning any major home project, you should look at the projected budget. And exterior painting is no exception. DIY costs less, but you will need to price out purchasing new supplies for the job if you don’t already own them. Ladders, brushes, power washers, and sprayers can add up quickly, in addition to the cost of the paint itself.
- Time/Schedule: Painting the exterior of your home is time consuming. The prepwork, including power washing and covering windows, can take 50% of the time. Consider if you want to or can spend an entire weekend or more on this project. Consider how much your time is worth. Consider if you are on a deadline for completing the project.
- Skill level & Equipment: Exterior home painting requires a different set of skills than interior painting. Consider if you have the needed skill set to do the job and achieve a result you are pleased with. Also, consider if you will need to rent or purchase additional equipment. Evaluate whether your home has any areas that need repair or are hard to reach. Finally, ask yourself if you are comfortable going up and down a ladder.
So, is it better to paint your house yourself or hire someone? Read on for a run-down on the pros and cons of DIY and hiring a professional.
- Pros of DIY:
- The biggest advantage of doing the job yourself is the savings in labor costs, which can be a sizable chunk of the cost. However, there can be a lot of unexpected costs of DIY, especially if you don’t already own the necessary equipment. Do you want to spend money for tools you probably won’t need again? Also, what is your time worth?
- Pros of hiring an exterior painting contractor:
- A professional exterior painter has the skills to do the job correctly.
- The result looks professional. Is the exterior paint job on your home something you want to risk looking like a DIY project?
- The job is completed in a timely manner. Professionals generally know how long it will take to complete the job, whereas DIY’ers can encounter many unexpected issues that delay completion.
If you are asking the question “Should I paint the exterior of my house myself or hire a professional?”, we agree with Bob Vila on this issue: “There are plenty of DIY projects that are perfect for beginner and intermediate DIYers, but exterior house painting isn’t one of them. Instead, it’s a job best handled by a professional due to its level of difficulty.”
Are you ready for a fresh, professional look to your home’s exterior? Let us help you check this project off your home to-do list! Our team is committed to the highest level of customer service and professionalism. Contact us today for a free estimate on painting your Southern California home’s exterior.